Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear End Housing Continued

Here's some recent pics.

I've pulled the housing out, pressure washed it and started cleaning up the area around the back that needs welded.

Now that I've knocked off the paint that made it look better than it actually is, I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble.
    I can go through with a wire wheel and grinder, clean it all up, grind and clean up all the weld, and have somebody throw down some better ones, OR
    just buy a new housing.

Is the inside of the center section supposed to be shiny?

What do you all think?
    Attached Files

Re: Rear End Housing Continued

As porous as that weld looks, I think it may still leak through it. I'd grind it back down and get it really clean before you try to weld it again. Looks as if the oil is contaminating your weld or not nearly enough gas.
    “I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.” TJ

Comment

Haven't had anything welded yet. Just got it pulled out yesterday and started cleaning it today.

I'm not really happy with the over-all condition.

The weld on the right side is was already there. I'm guessing from a previous repair of the same problem.
      Last edited by Mike C; 09-12-2010, 02:35 PM.

Comment

You can get a new housing in the 200-500 area depends on what style you want and you would know it is true. Are you sure your housing is true? If it is you could try and repair it but you may still get a leak.

Comment

Another thing to keep in mind, is that Early Bronco 9" housings are pretty weak when compared with their full size brothers. Look at where the axle tube meets the center section. On the full size truck housings they really beefed up the center section. Also if you can find a 9" housing from a early to mid 70's Ranchero or another big block car, those housings are 1/4" plate throughout instead of 3/16". Even new Currie housings are 3/16". I would definitely replace what you have with something else. If you're not on too tight of a budget, go with the Ruff Stuff housing, otherwise a Currie one will work too...Just shave the bottom and add a nice thick skid plate.
          SOLD: 1975 Ford Bronco: 105" wheelbase, King 14" c/o shocks, King 2" air bumps w/ Duff arms, 4 link rear w/ coils. Fuel injected 408W, ZF 5 speed/Atlas II(4.3) and Dana 60/70 axles with 5.13 gears and ARB's, 41.5/13.5R17 Pitbull Rockers on 17" Raceline Monsters.

Comment

In my opinion, just junk that whole thing and get a full width rear axle.
            Have someone cut out a back brace for your new full width (Shafers off road has a good one loaded on their torchmate).
            Then just run wheel spacers up front to even it out until you swap to a wider front end.
            Mark Harris
            71 Bronco, 9 inch, 60, c4, Stak 3 speed, and 42 inch balloons.

Comment

Someone correct me if I am wrong but...

3 options that I would consider doing if I was in that situation. (in this order)

1 Weld it
              2 Replace it with another banjo9
              3 Full width

IIRC the full width 9's are 31 spline. So if you have the stock 28 spline axles, it could get expensive if you already have a locker in the stock 3rd. But if it was me...I would weld it up, lay a couple extra beads around the housing (to prevent any further cracking.), And run it. The worst thing that could happen is it still leaks.
              {o===o}
              Originally posted by TBS-POPS
              EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
              Originally posted by CityHick
              I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

I'm with the guys on replacing. If you axel center line is off as little as an 1/8th'' it can cause you to blow bearing and shafts..Imo some things are not worth trying to be cheap on.
                75 sport 302 c4 full width 44 front 9 rear let the building begin

Comment

Originally posted by kevoson View Post
                  I'm with the guys on replacing. If you axel center line is off as little as an 1/8th'' it can cause you to blow bearing and shafts..Imo some things are not worth trying to be cheap on.
                  True. I cant tell from the pics but if the "crack" is sheared then I would assume the housing is junk.
                  {o===o}
                  EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....

Comment

The plan of the moment:

I'm going to drop off the housing with a friend of mine, who will take to a friend of his, who work on it, make the repairs, clean up the welds, hit it with some voo-doo magic, and return it to me...........

To put back in my Bronco until it is the right time to get a totally bad-ass RuffStuff housing , (and maybe upgrade to 35spline axles).

I'm reluctant to go all out right now because I'm not sure if I want to upgrade someday to a Dana 60, or stay with a 9in and go to 35 or 40 spline axles.

Comment

Is the Housing a Big Bearing or Small Bearing?
                      {o===o}

Comment

Big bearing.

Comment

Paging rick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                          {o===o}

Comment

Talked to the folks at RuffStuff today. Nice people, very patient, answered all my stupid questions, and they are are local.
                            There price is competitive with similiar products.
                            So...I'm very pleased with them so far and they have gone to the top of my option list for replacing my rear-end housing.
                            The only drawback is I will have to have the tubes cut and the end plate things put on somewhere else.

So that looks like my long term plan.

Comment

Dan cant do the ends on? You would think anyone selling housings would have the capabilities to sell welded on.

Comment

Working...
                              X