Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fungus' IH junk consolidated build thread...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fungus' IH junk consolidated build thread...

So I figured I'd consolidate all this IH iron here in a single build thread as they'll be going on side by side. Back in Aug '10 I bought the 67 "C" body Travelall as my "new" daily driver/ Bronco tow rig/ family expeditionary rig. Went home in Oct, hauled it down from Etna and got it running like a champ after sitting for several years untouched.

Specs:
    SV 304 V-8
    Warner T-98 4spd manual
    NP-202 xfercase
    D-44 front small ball closed knuckle w/ 4.09s (2800# version)
    D-44 rear w/ 4.09s & powerlock
    P/S, P/B w/ loooow mileage on all new drum brakes
    33x9.50x15r all terrain tires in great shape w/ 90% tread

As she sits she'd probably suffice for my Bronco tow duties just fine but wanted to give myself the added buffer of some 3/4T running gear and maybe a larger engine. While doing my daily Craigslist search in Dec I located a 69 Travelall 3/4 ton in Cottonwood. Picked it up for $300 bones.

Specs:
    SV 345 V-8
    T-34 5spd manual w/ OD
    NP-202 xfercase
    D-44 front small ball closed knuckle w/ 4.09s (3100# version)
    D-60 rear full floater w/ 4.10s & powerlock
    P/S, P/B w/ recent brake job as well 4 wheel drum

Plan 1:
    Have the 345 rebuilt for duties in the 67 T'all to make towing in the mountains easier (swap w/ the 304). Swap 8 lug 3/4T running gear into the 67 to include all the suspension (bolt on as frames are identical). Trade T-34 OD (not very good for towing due to gear splits) for T-36 direct 5 spd w/ guy in Portland and install in 67. This should set the old girl up great for tow/ DD duties!

This leaves all the original 1/2T running gear and engine from the 67 available (which runs awesome). Not worth much by themselves as I've seen guys basically giving this stuff away, sooooooo, while doing my CL search a couple weeks ago I stumble upon a 1970 1/2T swb 4x4 pickup in great shape and cheap due to it missing the motor. Just so happens I'll have the perfect IH motor to drop in and make it a runner! I know, another F'ing project (which it is)... From the pics and potential drivetrain in my head I just couldn't let it go. Made the deal on it Mon night for a whopping $350 also up in Redding. Good bud of mine (69steed on this board newbie) is going up this weekend to haul it back down for me.

Specs:
    SV-304 V-8 (originally but gone)
    T-18 4spd manual
    NP-202 xfercase
    D-44 front small ball closed knuckle w/ 3.73s (2800# version)
    D-44 rear w/ 3.73s and powerlock
    115" wheelbase w/ 6.5' bed
    all sheetmetal straight as an arrow w/ minimal surface rust in places
    manual steering/ brakes 4 whl drum

Plan 2:
    When 304 comes out of 67 it'll go straight into the pickup to complete the drivetrain. Run the rest of the stock drivetrain as it should make a great little ranch truck/ parts/ Home Depot runner on the cheap! DIY repaint factory two tone blue/ white. Take the 33x9.50x15 wheels and tires off 67 and run on this rig. If it turns out I don't like the 3.73s (think I will for it's intended use) then do a direct swap w/ the 4.09 running gear from the 67. P/S, P/B swapped in from the 69 T'all donor. Pull all remaining useable parts from the 69 T'all and scrap the rest. Everything from the B pillar forward is a direct fit for everthing on the pickup front end to include a spare "floating bar" grill in perfect shape which is one of the reasons I got sucked into this. I like the look (despite NOT being a "D" body fan) & the SWB. 4x4 was icing on the cake. I also can't see myself moving back to Norcal w/o a pickup. Just gotta have one, that's all there is to it.

I know, F'ing bucket overfloweth. I have officially BANNED myself from Craigslist!!!!

Pics... 1st = 67 "C" body T'all, 2nd = 69 "D" body T'all donor, 3rd 70 "D" body 1/2T pickup.
    Attached Files
    sigpicRoad trips on an island get boring after the 1st lap...

Re: Fungus' IH junk consolidated build thread...

Nice plans! You must have a lot of extra time ha ha
    68 Slightly modified
    67 LUBR once again
    61 Willy Wagon

Comment

EBs aren't hard enough to find, is that the problem?

That '67 Travelall has some serious character.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncrick View Post
        Nice plans! You must have a lot of extra time ha ha
        Hey, it's easy when they're 2600 miles away! I just have to "collect" em! Planning ahead for my retirement in 30 years or so. Gotta have something to look forward to... Working on old iron, be it Ford or IH, is my "therapy" anyhow. Calms me down and keeps me sane...
        Last edited by Fungus232; 01-26-2011, 04:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tortuga
          EBs aren't hard enough to find, is that the problem?
          I've got a couple $300 EBs in my yard over here and they need just a "tad" more work than these rigs. Cheap, tough & just as easy (if not easier) to work on than an EB. Pre-smog & PAID for in full were also big motivators. Moving back to a ranch and I'm gonna need some rigs with a bit more "utility" than a 1/4 ton EB. EBs will be my "play things". I'm considering not even painting the T'all as I really like the patina, it just adds to the character. Clean up some of the details, weather stripping, bumpers, wheels, hubcaps etc and pimp out the interior to make it nice and comfy on longer drives to include a vintage air setup.
          Last edited by Fungus232; 01-26-2011, 04:50 PM.

Comment

You should show this to the guys on Pirate4x4. Im sure they'll love it
            {o===o}
            Originally posted by TBS-POPS
            EXCUSSSSSSE ME oh RUBIMASTER!!! I forgot how Awesome YOU ARE!!! I BEG your forgivness....
            Originally posted by CityHick
            I don't give probabilities in percentage format anymore

Comment

John, Do you have stock in Redbull or something similar?

There is not enought time in the day for one Bronco let alone 4 IH...

Now I have that Country Western song in my head about IH...

I wish you luck................. Or maybe we need to have a Wrench'in party at the Ranch?
              2002 F250 Superduty, 7.3 241,500 miles and counting
              1979 Bronco, 351M,NP435,4:11's on 33's
              2016 Race Red Shelby GT350

Comment

I can live on 3hrs sleep at night & wrench into the wee hrs. At this stage of my life it fuels my need to create & be useful & have tangible results at the end. Midlife crisis I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                  I can live on 3hrs sleep at night & wrench into the wee hrs. At this stage of my life it fuels my need to create & be useful & have tangible results at the end. Midlife crisis I guess...
                  Tell me how you have explained that to your wife.... I want to tell mine the same... Cause she thinks I am Nuts to work on old cars...

Comment

My wife recently fell in love w/ making jewelry from seaglass and shells she gets on the beach. Actually said, "now I know how you feel about Broncos". But, in all honesty, momma don't know about the pickup & what momma don't know won't hurt her. Atleast until she sees it in Oct...

Comment

Wtf!!!???

So, obviously one man's "rust free" beautiful cab is another's NIGHTMARE! As of right now the deal is OFF on the pickup due to some pics I got this morning of an area in question. Explains why the floorboards were wet in his earlier pics, to which he could not answer why when asked. "Rust is there but it's not bad" he says. Holy rotten cowl hell!? WTF does he think is on the inside of these holes!? Anywho, got enough shit goings ons as it. Quick motor and servicing it IS NOT...
                      Attached Files

Comment

The insanity continues... Just made a deal on this rig today and will be picking it up in June prior to the 'Con run. THIS satisfies my need for a pre-smog classic 3/4 ton 4x4 that can seat 6 comfortably, get into some camping and snow, tow the Broncos and WORK on the farm when I get home! Couldn't pass it up and I've already got the 3/4 ton 4x4 chassis to put it all together with. One of the earliest crew cab pickups out there. Minimal rust, a few dings that'll come out easy enough and I'll have the 345 I've got rebuilt to go in with GM TBI injection that I have out here. 35x12.50x16 BFG KM2s on my 8 lug alum slots and she outta look pretty tough. I'm diggin' the unmolested dash and original clock above the rear view mirror too!

Anyone need a '67 T'all? She's fo sale...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Nice score on the quad cab, should be a real useful truck.

Thats how I rub...I mean roll!

Comment

Originally posted by PDXBronco View Post
                            Nice score on the quad cab, should be a real useful truck.
                            Yeah, really scratches the itch. I would've needed a truck when we move back anyway so this will actually minimize my fleet. Really didn't even know about these until after I got the Travelall and might've held out to find one if I had. Oh well, someone will end up with a decent Travelall outta the deal as it's running pretty damn good and hopefully I can get my money back out of it to support this build.

Comment

Originally posted by Fungus232 View Post
                              Yeah, really scratches the itch. I would've needed a truck when we move back anyway so this will actually minimize my fleet. Really didn't even know about these until after I got the Travelall and might've held out to find one if I had. Oh well, someone will end up with a decent Travelall outta the deal as it's running pretty damn good and hopefully I can get my money back out of it to support this build.
                              Parts is Parts at your house...

Comment

Working...
                              X