NP435 install issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NP435 install issues

I pulled my NP435 because it felt like the clutch was slipping and the thing was leaking like a sieve. I replaced the seals and installed a new clutch. The gears looked good.

Problem 1:
    I reinstalled everything that came out. Now I cant shift into 1st or 3rd because the shifter is blocked by the dash. It slightly hit the dash before I removed it but I was always able to get it into gear without issue. I lowered the crossmember about 1in with a jack and disconnected the driveshaft. I was able to shift it into all gears with the engine off and running. Why would the throw to 1st and 3rd be longer now? (I do not have a body lift)

Problem 2:
    With everything installed I tried driving down the street in 2nd. The clutch grabs, but as I increase the throttle it acts like it did before and seems to not be grabbing all the way. I have not adjusted the shift linkage yet as I am waiting for responses. The clutch does not grab In neutral

It's been a few years since I've had an NP435; as I recall they were picky about the position of the shifter when removing and re-installing it, like it had to be in neutral for both otherwise things would get difficult.
    The problems that you describe are not making much sense to me, though I do remember adjusting the clutch linkages being an exercise in patience and iteration. I remember tweaking with mine for quite a while before getting the pedal set to disengage the clutch without hearing nasty sounds from within the bellhousing.

Off topic, and not that it helps you now, but I will say that the hydraulic throwout bearing used with the ZF 5-speed is pretty simple, and foolproof to set up. I don't know if anybody has bothered to try to adapt it to the NP435... but it is the same flywheel and clutch.
    1970 Bronco
    My build thread

Comment

So, for problem 1: I'm confused about the crossmember. Did you lower it temporarily? Is it at the same height as it was before the removal? If it was barely hitting the dash before, any small adjustment will be magnified due to angle it sits at and the long throw shifter they have.

Problem 2: Have you adjusted the clutch rod/shift linkage yet? Maybe that was the problem from the beginning. You can screw it in/out to make the clutch catch with more/less pedal movement. Maybe its not fully engaged with the pedal all the way out. I had to play with mine a lot when I switched over to my NP435 (that I still use)
      1973 Ford Bronco: 3.5" suspension lift, 2" body lift, NP 435/D20. Holley Projection, 4.56 gears.

Comment

Working...
      X